Monday 21 October 2013

Off we go again

Can't believe we're off to Uganda again. Bags are packed, we're checked into our flight, taxi booked for tomorrow morning, Pete has a 'Mum folder' with important documents.... We had a fantastic time on Saturday at the Global Care 30th Anniversary celebrations and I feel inspired and excited - not just slightly anxious.

This is the first time we've had a trip lasting three weeks, or where we had to organise it ourselves with the Ugandan staff (though we did have a fair amount of help from Paul Rowell). I keep wondering if the guest houses will be booked and what on earth our car will be like.

We set off at 3.45am tomorrow morning for our first flight from Manchester to Brussels.  I've booked much cheaper flights this time - we're hoping Brussels Airline is just plain cheap and the price doesn't reflect the service.  From Brussels we fly to Entebbe (via a brief stop in Kigali) and should arrive in Uganda around 11pm. Hopefully there'll be a driver from our hotel waiting to take us for our first night under a mosquito net.

On Wednesday morning we're meeting Patrick from the Kampala office to sort out some financial matters and hand over the assorted packages that have arrived for our friend Mary.  It will be good to see Patrick again. We met him last year at the Uganda conference. He joined Global Care when they took over responsibility of a Spurgeon's project in Kampala.  Accepting that from Wednesday onwards we're working on African timescales (i.e. I don't have a watch so I'll guess the time, or if I do I'll come when I'm ready)  - with a bit of luck our driver for the trip, Charles, will arrive at a similar time to Patrick and we might get off to Rukungiri by 9am.  It will be a long but interesting drive through the Equator.  Last time we went I spotted Zebra at the roadside so my eyes will be pealed at the right moments.

So, I'm planning to be in bed by 8.30pm tonight - maybe my stomach will stop being jittery long enough for some sleep.  We have a Ugandan Sim card and printed emailed instructions for how to set it up with Tom's phone to get mobile Internet. (Its definitely a 'boy' thing - I'm just expecting to have Internet by magic). Maybe we'll be able to check in with you all by Thursday. I was going to add a photo of the bags in the hall - but I can't remember where I packed the camera lead for the laptop.  Next stop south of the Equator. 

1 comment:

  1. Looking forward to hearing all about it. Keep safe, God bless you both and hope the flights and acomidation are'adequate'
    Colin

    ReplyDelete