Saturday 9 November 2019

You can't get away from the B word

T. S. Elliot wrote 'We shall not cease from exploration, and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time.' I'm inclined to agree. 

The second part of our journey was relatively painless. We left at 8.15 after a solid sleep and an excellent breakfast. We'd have slept anywhere - which was just as well - staying overnight in Uganda is properly noisy!

We made good progress until Mbale where a University graduation brought gridlock. The traffic situation wasn't helped by roadside photographers and people selling what appeared to be plastic bouquets, tinsle garlands, and commemorative heart medallions (think A4 size), who were hawking through car windows at any opportunity. I slept most of the journey... My body doesn't know either the day or time! 
We arrived in Soroti at 11.15 and headed for the hotel. Its always nice to recognise hotel staff but particularly great to be greeted with big smiles & by name. 
David & Fred the joint Global Care managers arrived and after a good catch up we started planning our week. Discussions continued over lunch & into the early afternoon! We've got a rough daily plan, and we're remembering how much extra work we bring along with our help. On Monday we're meeting the Abeko Disability Support Group, but of course there has to be a gathering and lunch because we're here. There will be speeches and reports... 

Tomorrow we're going to church in the morning and in the afternoon prepping for Monday. In case you're wondering, I've lost a case before, so my rucksack had essentials (like malaria pills) and 2 changes of clothes. In the office and villages I wear long skirts or dresses so come equipped for potential lost cases. We're thanking God for Tom's case arriving... It had his special dietary foods. I've learnt before not to complain about things I miss (white woman's shampoo & conditioner, the luxury of several changes of underwear and clothes), I'll meet plenty of people this week whose entire personal possessions are less than my case contents. I'll be sad if the children's presents don't arrive on time.

However, I've mislaid my precious Watertogo bottle.. A water bottle with a inbuilt filter. I think it fell out when we were rushed through security in Dubai. I hate buying plastic bottles of water but hopefully I'll find a simple water bottle and can decant boiled water or from large bottles. Water is still an issue here. Towns have piped water.. But not to all areas and not drinking water. Some villages have wells or springs but most rural families still have to make time every day to fetch & carry water. I'm lucky. I can afford bottled water. Tom has his filter. We're a Minority. Already we're thinking about the injustices and inequality for many people here. There's no escaping it.

There's also no escaping Brexit. It was one of the first things we discussed in our meeting. That and climate change. There's no escaping the effect privileged people's decisions have on the world's poor. Now I'm off to buy a drink & food and reflect on my western wealth and entitlement, and as Tom pointed out, power. 

No comments:

Post a Comment