Tuesday 30 January 2018

Dare You Look Behind the Curtain?

Today we have carried out another video interview, spoken to a local representative for disabled persons, recorded a poem, visited our lovely friends at the Atiira Disability Support Group (ADSG), eaten lunch made by ladies at the ADSG, and walked to visit a house being built for a local family. I’ve totally failed to master the Global Care audio recorder – so Fred recorded the poem on his phone and its already been WhatsApped to the UK office.  I think I’m getting better at videoing but can’t find an App to view them on this dodgy laptop. I’ve worked out where the hot water button is for the shower. So its been a pretty good day. However, I’ve decided today to let other people speak and I’m going to write some quotes from people we talked to today.

Sponsorship
‘I am now studying to be a doctor. Without Sponsorship none of this would have been possible. When I joined the programme I could go to school, got scholastic materials, food and medical care – all that was sponsorship. In 2008 I had a chance to meet the kind lady who sponsored me. When they told me, I was like, ‘Wow. I can meet this person who has sacrificed to send me through all this education.' I was so grateful, so grateful. I was writing all these letters to her – and she told me she read them. I worked hard because someone gave me an opportunity to be in school.  I gained so much. I wish many more could go through education.’

On working as a Regional Representative for the National Council for Persons with Disability (PWD).
It is hard for people with disabilities. The numbers of PWD are increasing because older people understand they can register as disabled and when people have accidents they register too. There is not enough money for all these people. If a woman has a child with disability (CWD) her husband will divorce her. Parents feel their children are outcasts. We are trying to explain to schools that when they buy desks, they need to have some that are suitable for CWD. We need ramps at schools. We need trained special needs teachers.’

On education in rural villages
‘When a child from the village arrives at school, he or she has already done chores, maybe fetched water, looked after animals and younger children, then walked 3-6 miles to school. He arrives hot, tired, and hungry. Usually he is late. When he has finished he walks home again to more chores, still without a meal unless the school provides lunch, and when he’s finished chores it’s too dark to do homework. Children in rural settings spend less of the day at school, they are too fatigued and hungry to learn well and if they are not a biological child in the family, they may be kept at home to do housework.’

I’m not going to tell you much about our visit to ADSG – read Tom’s blog at DrTomGoesGlobal, but I have a few quotes:

-         'Don’t wait for someone to see you have a problem, wake up and solve your own problems. Claim your basic rights to food and clothing. Let us own our disability.'

'Global Care gives you money and must account for it. You have never disappointed us. The group flourishes because you don’t think of your own needs and support those in greatest need.'
And a few lines from the poem:
Behind the curtain I tell you,
there is something precious
Something unseen to the naked eyes of society. Do you believe me?
…. Behind the curtain I lived in ignorance,
close to my heart
To me it seemed like a dream
when reality dawned into my ears 
That disability is not inability
                                                             And my future glitters, like the bright morning star.
                                                                                   … What is it that able people can do that we cannot?  

It was great to be greeted with ululation and clapping and joy, to be welcomed with handshakes and hugs. But that’s twice already this week I’ve been reminded that disability is not inability.

I only pray that I look behind the curtain and see the truth - that I don't forget about people with disability hidden from view or rejected and disowned.

PS Favourite quote today: Everyone looks at him and thinks he's just a nice old man. But he used to be a rebel. He's really a Ninja.

No comments:

Post a Comment