Sunday 28 January 2018

Lifeguards Love Me

This afternoon I’m counting my blessings! Today is the last day of what can only be described as a ‘holiday’ and we’re refreshed and rested ready to start work at 8am tomorrow. No more late breakfasts and lazy days...
Today we went to church (started at 8.30, we arrived at 9, finished at 11.15), relaxed at the hotel, then my fantastic friend Fred (who reads this, and tomorrow I’m calling ‘Boss’) took me out for a treat.

So here goes:
1. I’m privileged to be able to come to beautiful Uganda.
The people are warm and welcoming and it really is beautiful. Today lizards played in the sun and flowers and bushes wafted in the breeze. Soroti has plains and swamps, Rukungiri mountains and jungles. Game Parks are fascinating - not going to forget seeing rhinos, crocs, elephants and giraffes. Next week we visit waterfalls. 


2. I’m blessed to be allowed to be part of the Global Care team.
Volunteering on the comms team, means learning about the work and children in all the countries where GCare works. In Uganda I’ve met local staff and their families and made fantastic friends. Staff here have incredible enthusiasm and vision for vulnerable children. And I get to visit projects and meet sponsored children. 

3. Coming here changed my attitude to disability.
Anyone who visits the Ark disability centre has their eyes and mind opened.  I'm beginning to understand what it means to say that we're all the same, except some people have disability.  To realise its about ability and potential not a disability. 

4. I  have two home churches.
This morning we attended Deliverance Church – we're as much part of the church family here as at Hope House in Barnsley. We are greeted with kindness and love by our friends. I respect the leadership. Today we had laughter, powerful testimony, challenging words and the best exhibition of leadership dancing I’ve ever seen. The overwhelming joy of a man released early from prison and now starting a prisoner rehabilitation centre was expressed in an exuberant song of praise to God. As he began to dance, enthusiastically bopping and jumping (proper jumping, hitting backside with ankles jumping) he was joined by Pastor Robert and several other men. They shook and shimmied in their full suits in the uncomfortable heat. Love this church!

5. I am constantly challenged about hypocrisy and complacency.
Last night, our friends, who happen to be deaf, suggested its easier to be deaf in a foreign country because generally everyone communicates in the same language.  I haven’t even been bothered to learn sign language – we communicate by writing.  I assumed their driver wasn't deaf... wrong. Each time we come we recognise obvious poverty - and realise we've blotted out and forgotten hidden deprivation. People in the middle of town cluster round a water pump - we've forgotten the reality of not having access to running water/ clean water/ sanitation.

6. I've learnt to appreciate little pleasures
We’ve had a room upgrade. Woohoo! Bigger room, air conditioning (??) and somewhere to sit. For a huge £2 extra a night.  Tom is currently resting in the cool as he recovers from next door’s party which went on till about 1.30am last night. Not having a party tonight is fabulous. We have regular meals.

7. I have great friends and family
Thanks for all the support from home - loving the comments and messages.

And finally:
Lifeguards love me
Fred took me swimming today - we drove to a pool outside town (he thought the one in town would be too small for me). He knows I swim regularly and have never swum in Soroti. For many people here swimming is a luxury. Entry to the pool cost more than Charles and my lunches in a café. So - I was a novelty in my goggles trying to swim lengths of front crawl. The lifeguards decided to create a 'lap area' for anyone who wanted to swim lengths with the white woman - and one of them went off to get an energy drink so he could join me (Swimyourswim chaps laughing like drains at this #slowestswimmerinthepool). By the time they'd found something to attach to two ends of a rope I was ready to come out  - but it would have been rude.

I am blessed and privileged. Tomorrow we travel to Abeko to meet people wanting to start a disability support group and start interviews with sponsored children. Tomorrow the real work starts.

No comments:

Post a Comment