Friday 19 January 2018

The Great Pretender

Two tightly packed canvas bags sit behind me, unidentifiable shapes bulging at the sides. One is full of baby quilts, handmade by a community craft group for abandoned and orphaned babies. The other has exercise mats for children with disabilities and a selection of random heavy items ranging from parkin (gift) to tins of sardines (emergency rations), and a backpack (gift for friend’s sponsored boy) to mosquito repellent (essential).  Yes – we’re off to Uganda again. This time for 10 days in Soroti in the North.  We have a draft itinerary but Mrs Usually Obsessively Organised knows it is a fluid document – and we could end up doing anything.  I’ve learnt to expect pre-prepared plans to be hijacked by people who know much better how to use our time – and by changing situations on the ground.

I also know that as soon as I walk out of the airport terminal in Entebbe and smell the smoky charcoal-filled air, I’ll start to relax. I don’t expect the hotel taxi to be there, I don’t expect a comfy bed or pillows, I have no idea how long the journey will take to Soroti on Thursday – but to my own never ceasing amazement, it won’t matter. I’ve learnt over time that I need a different attitude in Uganda.  There’s no place for a stressy Mzungu (white person) or grumpy Auntie (my name to most people).  It leads to so much pleasure when practicalities go to plan.  There’s a special delight in finding  a taxi waiting, food arriving on time, sit-down flush loos and working showers in a guest-house room. I appreciate all kinds of things.... a mosquito net without holes, a journey without a flat tyre, a meeting that starts within an hour of its expected time, evenings when there is running water and/or electricity and/or WifI. What a shame I can’t bring this relaxed, accepting version of myself home again! 

On the other hand, no previous experience or jolly approach properly prepares for the reality. There’s always someone, or something, that breaks the complacent attitude.  Just when I think the unhelpful emotional response to shocking scenes of poverty or stories of discrimination and fear is conquered, I meet a child, or a family, or a community, whose history and present circumstances are beyond belief.  Every time I go, there’s an indulgence that we’ve seen the worst deprivation before – unsafe, inhospitable dwellings, no basic necessities like clean water and sanitation, unaffordable healthcare, the only food consisting of weeds or insects, children with disability with no-one to care for them…. But the sad truth is we haven’t.  

 Each layer of poverty and vulnerability peeled away and viewed with increasing understanding only reveals a deeper incomprehensible level of suffering and need.

So, I can’t wait to see my friends, visit some of my favourite places in the world, talk to the most inspiring people I know, catch up with children and young people I’ve known for nearly 10 years, witness the incredible work of Global Care Soroti, and visit new places and make new friends.

But …. I know that once again I will be challenged. Challenged about my attitudes, understanding, lifestyle, beliefs, giving and time.
As they say round here, ‘Bring it on!’ – but please, this year, no more babies in coffins…….

“Too real is this feeling of make believe
Too real when I feel what my heart can't conceal”

The Great Pretender lyrics © Peermusic Publishing



No comments:

Post a Comment