Wednesday 11 July 2012

Community school wins trophy!




Today has been a very happy day. Today I saw the fruits of a lot of peoples’ labours and what happens when a community works together and then Global Care gets alongside.  

This morning Simon and I sorted out a case of school packs – notebooks, pencils, pens, rubbers, rulers and sharpeners. David told us how many to put in each pack. When we ran out of bags, David went into town for more and by lunchtime we’d made 80.  This may be the time to confess that somewhere at home there is an Asda bag full of pencil sharpeners.  The only thing we ran out of was pencil sharpeners! I especially wanted to bring lots of sharpeners as lots of small children carry bits of razor blades in their bags to sharpen pencils. Simon and I communicate by writing and at this point he said he once cut himself on a razor blade when he was sharpening a pencil. Hey ho! Do I feel bad? Yes I do. If anyone is coming this way via my house, please can you pick them up…. 

This afternoon (we’ll go at 3pm – we left at 4pm) we took the packs.  And we went to Angoram school.  Yipeee! I went to Angoram when it was mostly huts, then last time I was here we helped to paint the inside of the buildings.  Now it is amazing! The children sang two songs to us then we gave out the school packs. Well we gave out about 30 packs. Then we undid the work Simon and I did this morning to split the rest so each child had something (I lost count at 120). I love Africa – yes, Mrs control freak, compulsively organised, laughed and joked as we chaotically recovered ourselves from not having enough to go round.
 
The school has come on so much since last time I was here.  The flowers and plants have grown and new ones planted.  They now have huts for the teachers and have ploughed a field to grow cassava, beans and maize so they can feed the children at lunchtime.  the girls and boys have separate latrines. The staff and students are all so hard working. Global Care gave them hoes recently.  Some of you will know that in my world, Uganda does not have snakes. I wasn’t best pleased when David said they found a snake when he was there when they were preparing the garden.







They recently won a trophy for a music competition and the government has promised a new school building as a prize.  If you ever wondered what happens to money you give to Global Care, today should reassure you.  







 I am so impressed by the developments each visit and I know that I can be confident that any fund raising I do is not going to result in you giving your hard earned cash to a lost or ineffective cause…



And now I’m going to see if Tom has cooked my tea!

3 comments:

  1. Am loving these blogs Barb, almost feel I am there with you tho glad Im not(couldnt do the climate). Your generosity and passion shine through and I love the menu updates. Quite like river Cottage ie. sea fresh and sustainable!
    Glad you liked the necklace
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing the post.. parents are worlds best person in each lives of individual..they need or must succeed to sustain needs of the family. Backpack

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for a wonderful share. Your article has proved your hard work and experience you have got in this field. Brilliant .i love it reading. Bookbags

    ReplyDelete