Thursday 5 July 2012

The Global Care Uganda Training Conference


Last night I walked out of the airport in Entebbe at 11pm after travelling for 19 hours. Exhausted and thirsty I stepped out and smelt that African smell – woodfire mixed with something slightly unpleasant- and found myself grinning from ear to ear.  The muggy warmth and buzzing flies left me laughing and chattering like a giddy schoolgirl.  What a relief – Uganda I still love you! 

We arrived at our hotel in Kampala an hour later after being skilfully driven by Patrick who successfully managed to avoid the taxis with no lights, cyclists all over the road, lorries parked at the roadside selling or loading and the odd driver in the middle of the road.  We were shown to our very pleasant rooms and settled down for a night of much needed sleep. When I met John one of my travelling companions, the next morning, we discussed our night.  While I’m very tolerant of other religions, the early morning call to prayer was very early and very loud and very repetitive and John wondered whether we could find a dog hunter.  

I’d like to pretend that I’m suffering for my cause and life is tough for visitors to Uganda.  The truth is that after breakfast by the pool (yes it’s true!) I sorted out my cases then while the others were at meetings I sat on the balcony, prepared what I have to do tomorrow, wrote my diary and read my novel.  What a lovely relaxing morning!

During the day the other attendees at the Global Care Uganda Training Conference arrived, including of course Husband, it was quite nice to see him. I was allowed to temporarily break the rule of ‘no public shows of affection’…. 

It’s been a great day, catching up with friends and meeting new ones and hearing about all the incredible work the Global Care staff are doing at the Uganda projects.  We heard some heart rending stories of sickness and suffering and fear.  We heard about children afraid from a catalogue of disasters in their city – fire, theft, death from lightening, muggings and riots. There were stories of deception and corruption and feelings of disappointment and frustration.  There are so many challenges and limited resources. But after an initial response of feeling overwhelmed by the difficulties for the vulnerable children in this country I’m going to bed feeling encouraged that nothing is impossible and trusting that the Global Care teams will make the right decisions. 

We heard loads of success stories that give me hope and challenge me to think about how to support the work of these incredible people who are also my friends.  The schools partnership projects, the vocational skills work, individual children and families who have benefited from healthcare and emotional and practical support, a bee keeping project, and building work.

Now I’m hot and tired and ready for bed but looking forward to tomorrow.   I will never view the word ‘conference’ in quite the same way….

No comments:

Post a Comment