Sunday 15 July 2012

How many heifers are you worth?


Yesterday we had parachute fun with Uncle Mike – he tried out some of the games in the new books I brought.  He told the children the story of Peter walking on the water. We played some of the usual manic games too – there’s nothing like the sound of children screeching with laughter (unless you’re Tom who wasn’t too well yesterday and was trying to rest).




This morning we went to church. The service started at 9am. We arrived at about 9.20am having waited for some of the girls to get ready – Teddy was sent back for the Ukulele as they decided the Global Care choir would sing in church again. 


We went to the Ateso service as the English one starts at 6am…. (We’re not taking this seriously are we?). Some of the girls came with us.  As we’re walking along, Joy suddenly says “Auntie you will dance and dance. Auntie you will sing and sing. Auntie you will sweat!”  She wasn’t wrong…. After an hour of dancing, jumping, clapping in a packed church hall I was definitely sweating – as were most of the other church goers.


We entered the building at about 9.45am when the previous service finished (this was the one that started at 6am!!).  We had a lovely surprise as we met Gertrude who we know from previous visits.  I was greeted warmly by one of the ladies living near the Global Care centre who I've been waving to as I pass by every day.

When people pray in church here they all pray together which is great because we can join in whatever language is used.  I found it very moving to be there with those girls who I’m growing to love. As I looked at them and prayed I realised how church is a release for them – they can really let themselves go in praise and worship and they truly believe that whatever their situations, God is trustworthy and faithful.  

Yesterday we chatted about their families and how they are sad that I don’t have daughters.  They asked me what I thought of big families.  They think it’s important to have lots of daughters so you can gain wealth when you marry them off.  Actually on Friday I was asked how much Tom paid for me – imagine the horror that I was free – I must be absolutely useless, uneducated, and no good at running a home and supporting my family. I daren’t ask Tom how many cows he would have paid for me!

Anyway, back to church.  There were 3 choir performances including ours. If you want to sing you pass a slip of paper forward with your name on. It seems no-one is refused!  There was a sermon, translated by Naume who did her best for the hour or so. There was an offering, after which the non-monetary gifts were sold off - these seemed to be mostly bags of maize..... and a live chicken!  Several testimonies and about 45 minutes of notices followed.  What time did we leave? About 12.30.

We came home through the market and as I was hungry after all that church, we treated our 'translator' and 2 other companions to Rolex - 2 eggs and onions rolled in a chapatti. We shared 2 between the 4 of us as they were so big. Total cost about 60p.  A very pleasant end to an excellent (if lengthy) morning.



No comments:

Post a Comment