Tuesday 17 July 2012

All my bags are packed


Today we’re clearing up and getting ready to go. We’re thinking about all the people we’ve met and places we’ve been, and what we have and haven’t achieved.  This morning we went into town to get cash and presents and ingredients to try and make a cake.  We found a gift shop we didn’t know existed and managed to find yet another local instrument to bring back to add to the collection.  Funniest moment was being served courgettes by the armed guard at the supermarket as the stall holder wasn’t there.  It’s a bit unnerving having a rifle waving in your face while you bend down to discuss and choose vegetables.

We seem to have accumulated a lot of mess – Tom is currently trying to sort out flipcharts which have bred on a daily basis.  We’re taking last minute photos of everyone and still deciding what can be fitted into this last day.  It will be interesting what appears when we empty the bags and boxes in our room – I suspect at least mouse droppings and a few dead insects though Tom just found a lizard behind some papers in his office.

We made a sticky toffee pudding African style – it’s not easy trying to find ingredients here and what we bought wasn’t quite what we’re used to. I’m quite impressed that I made something edible without scales and only half the recipe constituents. We’ve handed over the left over crafts and games and as the primary teachers are on strike today, the younger children are happily playing snap with the cards I found at the bottom of a bag. 

I feel so sad today, it will be a wrench to leave these lovely people behind after just getting to know some and renewing friendships with others. The question everyone is asking is ‘When are you coming back?’ – I wish I knew. The hard part will be deciding what to do about some of the things we’ve seen when we get back. Yes, I'm tearful - its such a long way and these are my friends I'm saying goodbye to.


We had a chat over lunch about our cultural differences – particularly gender issues. Here a man and is mother-in-law often don’t sit in the same room, the man cannot wear shorts in her presence and if he sees her in the street, he calls to her from a distance. Not quite the same as Tom and my Mum! There has been much amusement at my inability to behave like a proper African wife towards Tom.  He took me to meet a lady at the market who was concerned the other day that he was shopping – she was relieved to see me today.  I can't get my head round it - or all the implications - but it seems like something that needs understanding and exploring.

So, I’m ending where I started, I love this country in spite of our differences. After three visits I’m finally starting to get to grips with some of the cultural chasms between us, and beginning to understand I have to respect where some of the more challenging customs come from.  The people we’ve met here are incredibly accepting and welcoming to us, and they treat us with such respect – we need to do the same for them.  We also need to be aware of where we can help - by supporting communities in the areas they identify that sustainable improvements can be made.  The reason why I support Global Care is because I see an organisation that loves vulnerable children and will fight for their rights, but that respects the cultures of the countries where it works, and employs local people to develop sustainable projects.  As they say here, God willing, I’ll be back….



No comments:

Post a Comment